You have lost your inspiration? A good way to write music is to start with nice chords progressions. Fortunately, now you have a Free MIDI chords pack to get you back on track, and complete all these unfinished tracks you have!
I'm sure you have seen lots of ADs for MIDI chords packs, chords progressions, but wait... paying for chords, is it a joke???
TL;DR -> Download
This is why I started this collaborative project: to create a collection of all chords and useful chord progressions in all keys, as MIDI files, usable with your favorite DAW, even on mobile apps like FL Studio Mobile.
Currently, it contains more than 7900 chords and progressions!
This collection is 100% FREE and you can contribute to it, if you find incorrect chords or you wish to add a nice chord progression.
All the files are licensed under the MIT license, and you can use them in any project freely.
If you want to support the project and show your gratitude, you can also subscribe on Patreon 😉🙏
What is a MIDI chord pack?
MIDI chord packs are a set of files that DAWs like Ableton Live, Logic Pro, Cubase, Reaper, MPCs or Grooveboxes can read. They contain only note data, no sounds, so you DAWs or MPC can turn these notes data into sound with virtual instruments like synths and sample players. They are available in different genres and types of sound, from Dubstep to Trap or from Pop to Ambient, or can also be generic for all styles.
These chords packs make it easy for producers to drag and drop chords progressions, into their tracks in just a few seconds. This is why chord packs are so popular because they take away the need to program chord progressions from scratch, without knowing a lot about music theory, and how chords are built. A MIDI chord pack will allow you to try out new chords and progressions in seconds, progressions that you would have never thought of on your own.
MIDI data is very light and easy to manipulate, so a chord pack containing thousands of chords and progressions can be produced quite effortlessly for free. Not only the SHLD chord pack is free, but it is also a collaborative project, which you can contribute to easily.
Why using this chords pack?
- Get instant inspiration listening to 100s of chords progressions
- Use complex chords that nobody else uses, without having to learn music theory
- You can also start with a classic chord progression like I-V-IV-VI and drag over it a few complex chords to stand out
- Use advanced chords to write on top, an unusual melody
- Use our MIDI chords pack with your favorite DAW, MPC and instruments, no need for another plugin!
- To stand out, and not sound like your neighbor, it is up to you, not to use a progression directly without modifications, and to work on the rhythm of the chord progression, or modify some notes to make it sound better.
Contents of the MIDI pack
The chords collection is organized using 3 levels of directories:
- 1st level: All 12 Major and Minor keys
- 2nd level:
- 1/ Triads (simple chords)
- 2/ 7ths and 9ths chords
- 3/ All other chords
- 4/ Full Midi chords progressions
- 3rd level: Major and Minor scales
- 4th level: progressions with different rhythmic patterns
- 3rd level: Major and Minor scales
How to use the Free Midi Chord pack?
Just download and unzip one of the release files.
- Select one of the 12 music keys
- Choose if you want simple chords (Triads), more advanced ones, or full progressions
- Choose Minor (serious/sad) or Major scales (happier)
- Drag and drop the MIDI file in your DAW
- Listen. Repeat. Improve. Record.
If you need to know a little more about the theory which is behind this: