You'd like a great-sounding Analog synth for less than $500 or 500€? Do you hesitate between the Deepmind 6 and the Minilogue XD? Here is my guide to help you choose between those 2 polyphonic synths.
Why would I want to compare these two synths from Behringer and Korg? Because they share many characteristics, for example:
- 12 oscillators
- Versatile FX Engines
- Complex modulation matrix
- Polyphonic step sequencer with modulation/FX sequencing
- CV input for external control of the modulation (2 CV inputs on the Minilogue XD)
- 37 velocity-sensitive keys
- Chords and Arp modes
But also, many subtle differences, should help you choose between the two. Let's take a look.
Deepmind 6 strengths
- Full-size semi-weighted keys with aftertouch. On the Minilogue Xd you have mini-keys without aftertouch
- 6 voice polyphony, with 2 analog oscillators (= 12 total voices)
- 35 High-quality effects, with FX Engines powered by TC electronic & Klark Teknik and most important, a Juno-style chorus😁
- 2- or 4-pole low-pass filter per voice
- Flexible 8-channel modulation matrix with 24 sources and 132 destinations including effects parameters, and one control sequencer which can hold one modulation sequence
- Better onboard sequencer interface thanks to the larger screen
- 32 steps sequencer (16 steps on the XD)
- IPad and Android apps to control nearly all the parameters of the synth
Minilogue Xd advantages
- 4 voice polyphony but with 3 oscillators: 2 analog plus 1 digital oscillator (= 12 total voices)
- More versatile waveforms plus a wavefolder, Ring modulation, and Cross mod
- The 3rd oscillator can play any waveform (noise, FM, wavetables)
- The digital oscillator can be upgraded with tons of oscillators available on the Internet. So that you can add FM, wavetable, or granular sounds to your patches
- Less built-in effects but the FX engine can be extended with tons of effects downloadable for free!
- 2-Pole filter with a drive circuit
- endless modulation possibilities thanks to the motion sequencer. It can hold 4 modulation sequences per patch and 2 CV inputs. 4 modulations can be controlled by the XD joystick
Why would you choose the Deepmind 6?
You will choose the Behringer Deepmind:
- If you prefer a more classic analog tone and easily get Juno like sounds, and you don't care about having more oscillator options
- If you need a better keyboard with Aftertouch and Semi-weighted keys
- If you prefer a better onboard sequencer and App control
Why would you choose the Minilogue XD?
You will prefer the Korg Minilogue XD:
- If you want a more versatile sound, with both analog and digital options
- If you want endless sound options thanks to the downloadable sound and FX engines
- If you want a more compact form factor and you already have a better external MIDI keyboard
My preferred small Analog synth
I think that these 2 synths are among the best in their range. They are capable of all types of analog sounds, from Bass, Plucks to rich and evolving Pads. They both have great modulation options. The Deepmind 6 has more LFOs and envelopes, but the Minilogue XD can record easily 4 parameters in its motion sequencer just like 4 more LFOs.
But my preference goes to the Minilogue XD, for its open-source sound engine, and its multi-effects. You can evolve your basic 100% analog sounds to even richer sounds. You can even create your effects and sounds if you program, or simply download tons of free ones! And this is a unique and valuable possibility that exists for very few synths.
If you want to support my blog, you can buy them using the affiliate links below 👍
Feel free to comment below if you find more information about the XD and Deepmind 😊