Need advanced control of your Live session, using a control surface? But you feel limited by the MIDI assignment capabilities of Live? Fortunately, an older version of ClyphX is still available for free, and it works with Live 10!
ClyphX 2.6.2 is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License, which means that anybody can modify and distribute it for free. It has less features than ClyphX Pro, but the 2.6.2 is the last free version to work with Live 10.
You can still use the Free ClyphX but of course it is not supported anymore by nativeKONTROL developers.
Once the MIDI remote script is installed in Live, you will be able to perform actions by using special names in Live 10.x:
- in session clips
- in arrangement view locators
In UserSettings.txt you can also assign midi notes or CC to start some actions.
- in the session view rename a clip as ' DUPESCENE'
- trigger it with your control surface (any would work: Launchpad in session view, or Arturia Keyboards in DAW mode)
- this will duplicate the current scene
- continue playing Live and overdub in the new scene while keeping the old scene clips!
As you see you can easily improve your Live workflow with any control surface, and add some automation that was not possible before with the stock Live 10! There are dozens of actions possible which are described in the ClyphX manual:
- Add audio, midi and return tracks
- Add new scenes or duplicate them
- Smoothly ramp up/down the tempo
- Change global quantization or groove
- Send MIDI messages
- Trigger a fixed length session record
- Modify output routing
- Store/Recall snapshots of track and device settings
- Play a random clip in a scene
- Control devices chains and device bank parameters
- ... and a lot more ...
Download the free ClyphX scripts
Since the version 2.6.2 is open source, under the GPL, I copied the source under Github:
Installation in Live 10
Simply unzip the zip in Ableton's 'Midi Remote Scripts'.
- On Windows it should be located under C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live x\Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts
- On MacOS it's located inside the Ableton Live application bundle. To access it, locate the Live application in Finder, right click and select "Show Package Contents". Then navigate to: /Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/
Finally add the ClyphX control surface in Ableton's Midi Link preferences, and test it with the example above!